Welcome to GEMS
The mission of the GEMS (Girls EXCELing in Math and Science) program is to increase student
success in the first two years of the student's college career in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering
and Math) discipline. The GEMS participants are EXCEL female students. To accomplish this
mission GEMS offers the following benefits to GEMS participants:
- A designated EXCEL female mentor who is an older EXCEL female student from the same
discipline as the GEMS mentee. The GEMs mentor interacts with their mentees frequently face-to-face and through other means. The GEMS mentor offers the necessary
support that a mentee might need to guarantee a smooth transition from high school to college in their first year at UCF.
- A dedicated EXCEL First Year Advisor and all the STEM college advisors consult with the
GEMS students in a timely and proactive fashion about the courses that they need to take in
their designated STEM discipline.
- Mentorship events organized throughout the academic year introduce to the GEM
participants female role models from the STEM disciplines and the opportunity to interact
with them on a one-to-one basis.
- Social activities that help solidify the bonds amongst the mentors, mentees, GEMS staff and
other EXCEL students, bonds that are critical for a student’s success in their first year in
- All the benefits offered by the EXCEL program to its student participants (for more details
click on EXCEL)